I literally had to ‘figure out’ what to feed my 1 year old. Yep, you read that correctly! Being that this is the first time that I’ve been home with one of my littles past 6 months old after giving birth was the difference. I realized quickly that in times past, I didn’t have to think about what to feed the baby during the day because daycare basically fed our kids breakfast, lunch and snacks…thanks so much Daycare. I totally took them You for granted. So I’m sharing a 1 Year Old Sample Meal Plan for those out there like me that need it as an example…to take out some of the guess work, while baby is transitioning to meals that the rest of the family is eating.
So a few things to note about my 1 year old. She’s still breastfeeding, she’s walking and has 2 teeth. This type of information plays a role into the types of foods that can be introduced for chewing purposes. At this point the milk or water in a cup is more so for beginning the weaning process than it is her source of fluids, since she’s still nursing.
1 Year Old Sample Meal Plan
Each bullet represents an option.
- 1/4 cup cheerios, 2oz of yogurt, 2oz of milk.
- whole wheat grain, vanilla wheat Lil’ Biscuit, applesauce cup, milk or water.
- 1/2 Eggo waffle stick with light butter and syrup, applesauce cup, milk or water.
- 2 mini muffins, applesauce cup, milk or water.
- 1 slice of deli turkey breast*, 1/2 pouch veggie/fruit or applesauce cup, 2oz of milk or water
- 1 slice of deli chicken breast*, 1/2 pouch veggie/fruit or applesauce, 2oz of milk.
- arrowroot cookie, milk or water
- cheerios, milk or water
- diced fruit, milk or water
- mini muffin, milk or water
*You can switch this out for any meat that you choose…which could be what you’ve made for the rest of your family for lunch or dinner. My little is eating more table foods, so I may use the above as a starter and add in a few spoonfuls of whatever we (our family) is eating so that she can explore different flavors.
I’d love to hear what you’re doing or have done in the past!